« Back

Welsh 2nd Language - GCSE

This GCSE specification in Welsh second language will enable candidates to understand and use the language for a variety of purposes and audiences. Pupils will develop language learning skills. Pupils will develop listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in an integrated manner.

The qualification is made up of four units: Unit 1 and Unit 2 are a non-examination speaking and listening assessment, Unit 3 and Unit 4 are reading and writing examinations. The context for learning the language is organised under three broad themes:  Employment, Wales and the World and Youth. Each unit is worth 25%. Pupils sit Unit 1 in year 10 and the remaining units (75%) is completed in year 11. 

 

Unit 1: Oracy response to a visual stimulus (Non-examination assessment) 

A task for a pair/ group of three based on visual stimuli provided by the WJEC to stimulate discussion. The assessment will consist of two parts conducted in the following order:

  • Watch a visual clip (approximately 2 minutes) twice and fill in a related sheet.
  • Discussion between the pair/group of three on the content and develop their ideas.
  • This task is equivalent to 25% of the GCSE. 15% of the marks are for listening and 10% of the marks are for speaking. The task will last between 6-10 minutes.

Unit 2: Communicating with other people (Non-examination assessment)

A task for a pair/ group of three based on triggers such as a combination of graphs, pictures and short reading texts provided by the WJEC.

This task is equivalent to 25% of the GCSE. 20% of the marks are for speaking and 5% of the marks are for listening. This task will last between 6-10 minutes.

 

Unit 3: Narrative, specific and instructional

A written examination paper of 1 hour 30 minutes. This task is equivalent to 25% of the GCSE.

15% of the marks are for reading and 10% of the marks are for writing. There will be comprehension tasks to complete as well as one translation task from English to Welsh, one proof reading task and writing tasks.

 

Unit 4: Descriptive, creative and imaginative

A written examination paper of 1 hour 30 minutes. This task is equivalent to 25% of the GCSE.

10% of the marks are for reading and 15% of the tasks are for writing. 

Documents